Ever had that sinking feeling that you were coming down with something, and you just couldn’t afford to be sick? Even worse, you’re child is the one under the weather and you really have nobody to take care of your little one while you’re at work ?
A chaotic trip to the doctor, a packet full of medication and an empty wallet later, you’ve done all that you can to avert a disaster. This is the routine most people follow, especially throughout the winter and hay-fever months. But what if I told you that none of this is necessary because there’s a much easier and far more convenient way to handle the situation ? One that doesn’t involve medication and their side-effects, that is super cheap and safe for the entire family ?
The Culprits and The Goal
Firstly, in order to understand what you can do to combat an illness, we need to understand what is the root cause of your typical illness. Most people contract a pathogen which can be either a virus, bad bacteria, fungus, or yeast. What do germs, viruses, bad bacteria, fungus, and yeasts all have in common ? They survive in an acidic environment, and die in an alkaline one.
Thus if you can monitor your ph level and keep it around 7.35, then you can successfully maintain a healthy body and resist illnesses. That’s the rub.
A proper diet and healthy lifestyle can keep us in the optimal ph range of 7.35 to 7.45. Unfortunately most of us, despite our best intentions, for any number of reasons, simply can’t keep to any routine that involves time or effort. Life gets in the way of trying to live a healthy life!
My Not-So-Secret Weapon
Enter my not-so-secret weapon, which is really so easily available, cheap, and effective, and best of all does not require much time or effort – the humble *drum roll* Bicarbonate of Soda !
Bicarbonate of Soda is a quick and easy way to alkalize your body. When taken with water, it breaks down into sodium chloride (salt), water and carbon dioxide, hence you burp as the carbon dioxide is released. The end result is the excess acids in your digestive system are neutralized (which helps with acid reflux), and harmful pathogens in the body are killed (which helps with fighting off infections and pathogen-causing illnesses).
How Does It Help ?
In keeping your ph slightly alkaline, you prevent infection, germs, harmful bacteria and viruses from invading your body and compromising your health. If we understand that pathogens (any micro-organism that causes disease) cannot survive in a non-acidic body, then we can understand the various diseases we can counteract by simply keeping an optimal ph.
I can name them, but honestly names are meaningless when we understand the underlying cause of those named diseases. The common cold, influenza, hay-fever, allergy symptoms, ulcers, candida, any infection (ear, throat, respiratory, yeast etc.), even cancer – these are all as a result of pathogens running riot in our various body systems. Maintain a healthy ph, you target the root cause, the symptoms ease, the illness goes away.
How is it used and what is the Dosage ?
Use a medicine measure for the Bicarbonate of Soda. An adult dose is the following:
- ½ teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
- ½ glass water
Dissolve completely and drink, preferably on an empty stomach in the morning, or in-between meals during the day.
For children I halve the dose:
- ¼ teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
- ½ glass water
- 1 – 2 teaspoon local, organic honey (optional, depends on the sweetness of your honey)
- Freshly squeezed organic lemon OR 1 drop organic lemon essential oil (optional)
The honey and lemon combination makes the mixture really tasty for kids. Then again all children are different – my elder son insists on the honey and lemon, whereas my younger son prefers it with just the honey.
Take this for 3 days, if already sick or coming down with something.
Day One : 5 times, at 2 hours apart
Day Two : 4 times, at 2 hours apart
Day Three : 3 times, at 2 hours apart
For maintaining good health, take once a day, or a few times a week.
Safety and precautions
- DO NOT take bicarbonate of soda just before or after a meal. Bicarbonate of Soda neutralizes stomach acids, but the digestive system needs acids to digest your food. Thus you are hampering your digestive system’s ability to effectively digest your food, causing harm to your digestive system as a result. Hence bicarb should only be taken in-between meals, when there is no digestive action required.
- Drink lots of water when taking bicarb, especially more so when following the 3-day course. This is because the bicarb increases the salt content in the body, which can be a burden to the kidneys if not enough water is consumed. Additionally when already sick, there is a huge detox taking place in the body. This can result in painful headaches, nausea and other detox symptoms. Drinking lots of water helps the body flush out the toxins faster without the nasty side-effects.
- Do not take bicarbonate of soda if you suffer from high blood pressure. Again, the bicarb increases your sodium level, which is already high in a person with high blood pressure. Instead you may alkalize your body with lemon-infused water and a diet high in alkaline-forming fruits and vegetables. Cucumber, kiwi, leafy greens, apple cider vinegar, lemons are all alkaline-forming foods once consumed.
- Do not take more than 1 Tablespoon of bicarbonate of soda a day.
- Consult your medical practitioner before taking bicarbonate of soda, and before giving it to your child. Common sense and discretion should be used. Personally I’ve been giving this to my own children from the age of 5. According to my paediatrician, bicarb is preferable to administering antibiotics and medication to children. However you should consult with your own paediatrician prior to giving this to very young children.
- Ideally you should be keeping your ph level optimal via a healthy diet rich in organic fruits and vegetables. Bicarbonate of Soda is a quick and easy means to the same end, however it should be used in moderation and with discretion.
Common applications from my experience
I have seen amazing benefits first on myself, and then on my kids and my husband. After experiencing great results in my own family, I have recommended this protocol to friends and family. They too experienced the same benefit. Some of my own success stories are:
Chronic sinus and respiratory infections
This is what bogged me down for years. When I could feel the same painful sinus and chest infections that only a trip to the GP and heavy painkillers together with antibiotics could help with, I decided to give the bicarb a try. End of day 1 I felt slight relief. End of day 2 the infections had cleared away. Middle of day 3 nobody would have believed that I had a severe sinus and chest infection 🙂 Why oh why did nobody tell me about this years ago!!
My son has a sensitivity to aspartame and sugar. When we go out or attend birthday parties, he usually ends up with a fever, thick mucus in his nasal passage and chest, and an ear infection. The poor child spends most of the night throwing up mucus and crying from his high fever. When I started giving him bicarb, and provided I gave it within the 2-hourly intervals and the correct dosage, I was able to either prevent or fight off the fever, the mucus build-up and the ear infections. No more paracetamol, cough mixtures and painful nights for the both of us – Happy Days!
Hubby loves spicy food, and when cooked at home there’s no problem. However a KFC Zinger burger really unravels him! After some painful experiences with rushing him to the hospital to help with the pain, I got clever and decided to give him some bicarb the minute he realized he’s about to have an issue again. No surprise, the pain subsided and the discomfort went away.
This was because peptic ulcers are caused by a bacteria called H.Pylori. Guess what kills harmful bacteria ? Bicarbonate of Soda!
I did use other protocols on him, such as my Erchonia laser and Essential Oil massage, to help him with his pain management until the bicarb effects kicked in. However a preventative measure, in addition to a better diet of course, is to have regular doses of bicarb or alkalizing foods to prevent a further attack.
Colds and Flu
I was highly successful this winter in preventing my family and I from succumbing to the dreaded cold and flu. In addition to using a warm steam humidifier and essential oils for my kids, we all took bicarb regularly, and the 3-day dosage for whenever we felt ourselves being compromised. Whereas other families were rushing their kids to the doctor, and medicating them every night for their symptoms, we were blessed to have prevented all this heartache by simply keeping our ph levels in check with the bicarb.
This windy season I seemed to be really susceptible to the dust and pollen in the air. I took the 3-day dose of bicarb just as I was about to cave in. The itchy nose, watery eyes, constant sneezing and scratchy throat all went away, and I was as right as rain by the end of it. Had I taken a single dose daily throughout the hay-fever season, I would have not succumbed to it at all. Oh well!
Sharing is Caring
I have not even touched the tip of the iceberg – there is so much of information and practical applications of Bicarbonate of Soda available. Below are some links to further information. Do yourself and your loved ones a favour – read up on these and try them out.
I would love to hear of your success stories, insights, and just comments in general. Let’s interact and spread the love. Sharing is caring, so feel free to share this post with friends!